Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Yeah, I've got an opinion on the FLDS ordeal in Texas

I don't usually shy away from my opinions, and I have an opinion on the FLDS ordeal in Texas.

Now I'll let you know, I am all for strict punishment to anyone who abuses children. In fact, I think our laws are not severe enough for those who abuse children, both sexually and physically. I think that these crimes are the most heinous of crimes, save it be murder of children. Our current laws are not severe enough punishment for these abominable acts of abuse. So I'm torn with this nonsense down in Texas with the FLDS folks. However, I am not comfortable with some of the things the law has done in Texas. The law has gone in to these FLDS homes in San Angelo, Texas and taken all of the children, over 400, from their parents because of one phone call reporting abuse. It is a little scary. At what point do we say, "Enough is enough!" These kids need to be with their parents. I'm not saying return a 14 year old bride to her old husband, but I'm saying let the other kids be with their mothers. I have four children. I can't imagine how hard it would be for them to be taken away from their mother, put into a foreign place where they are surrounded by unfamiliar people, and are not being told when they can go home. I don't like it and I think the law has gone too far. Just because these folks are different than we are, does not give anyone the right to go in and start tearing families apart. Again, if there is abuse involved with certain individuals, if laws are being broken where young underage girls are being married to older men, then yes, by all means, get the law in there and take action. However, it doesn't seem like this is the case with every one of these young children that are in state custody. This is very difficult, and it's easy for me to be critical when I'm hundreds of miles away and don't know all the details, but I do know that little children need their mothers, and that it is in a mother's DNA to take care of her children. I don't think that all of these kids were being abused.

Now I also need to clear something up here since many of my friends and customers outside of Utah are confused about who the FLDS are and if they are involved with the LDS or Mormons. The answer is NO. They are not affiliated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or The Mormons (called LDS or Latter-day Saints). The FLDS are Fundamentalists that believe in Polygamy, something that the LDS Church denounced over 100 years ago. It was over 100 years ago that the FLDS broke from the main religion and started their own offshoot. The LDS Church does not recognize the FLDS as members of their Church, and the FLDS do not recognize the LDS prophet as their prophet. The FLDS are found (obviously in Texas) and in southern Utah in Hildale, UT and Northern Arizona in Colorado City, AZ. They practice plural marriage and observe a strict dress code.

I personally have no problem with Polygamy, except that it is illegal. I would have no problem with it being legalized. I think that it is possible for these families to live good lives and raise good children as polygamists. However, I have serious problems with underage girls being forced to marry an older guy. Again, I have no mercy for these monsters. But if consenting adults want to live a married life together and have children, even dozens of them, I'm fine with that. If the woman is happy with the situation where her husband has other wives, then so be it. I don't see where the government should have a problem with it. Let's legalize it and let these people live their lives. But, and this is a BIG BUT, the minute you start trying to arrange marriages and the women are actually under aged girls, then you've got to face the consequences of the law. Period.

Let's go about this with compassion. Let's treat these people the way we would want to be treated. Protect the children if they truly are in danger, otherwise get them back to their mothers. Remember they are all innocent until proven guilty - let's don't give up that right.

Until next time
The Cable Guy
http://www.professionalcable.com/
Orem, Utah

No comments: