Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Heroine for Cars

Tonight as I was pulling into a gas station (for an ice cold Diet Coke), I saw a line of SUVs all with the fuel nozzles sticking out of their sides filling up. It was like a bunch of heroine addicts getting their hit with needles poked into their arms. These big vehicles can't go very long without another hit. I know. I recently traded my gas guzzling Dodge truck for a new Honda Civic. I will save $130 a month at current prices ($4 a gallon). I put about 1,000 miles a month on my car. If it goes up to $5 a gallon like some experts say we'll see this year, I'll save $160 a month. That's like another car payment. Monday I leave for Vegas. For this trip (to and from Vegas) I will save $135 in the Civic.

My Dodge was addicted to gas like a heroine addict. It loved to stop at gas stations, and for a meer $70+, it would be good for a week... sometimes... OK. Sometimes it was getting its fix twice a week. All the while my bank account was being siphoned... kind of like you would siphon gas... but it was my hard-earned money flowing out of my checking account through the matrix of wires and computers into the credit card machine on the gas pump. I would exchange that hard-earned money, for my Dodge's fix. It would go into the tank. I would start my truck, drive to work, and most of it would be gone. Vanished into thin air. (much to the chagrin of Al Gore). I guess on this, I'm with Al Gore... something I've never said before and am not likely to ever repeat. It was killing me. I hate to waste money. It burns me. I felt that I was just throwing money away.

So now I'm driving a fancy dependable Honda. They are extremely dependable cars. Dependability is a whole other issue with the Dodge. My Dodge was in the shop more than on the road. I thought the check engine light was going to burn out it was on so often. At 63k miles the engine was replaced (at no charge since there was a whole 7k left on the factory warranty). It was riddled with reliability issues and repairs the whole time I owned it. Consumer reports (which I failed to read before buying this gem) rips it apart also. Apparently I was not the only one with troubles. However, my new Civic is highly recommended as a very reliable car with virtually no problems and very high consumer satisfaction.... So why can't America build cars like this?

In other high-fuel costs news, I've decided to keep my gas guzzling 1969 Chevy pickup, although it only gets 12 MPG. I don't drive it much, but it is convenient for yard work. But, every mile I drive is like throwing $0.34 out the window. It's crazy.
So there you have it. I'm happy with the new car. I have faith in America and think that the high fuel costs will just inspire entrepreneurs to come up with alternatives to gas. Why there aren't natural gas stations popping up like popcorn on the apricot tree, I don't know. I think that is a gold mine waiting to happen. Albeit, a gassy, natural, gold mine. Also, quick-n-easy (and cheap) conversions so your regular car can run on either natural gas or the regular unleaded. The bio-fuel cars exist, but the conversion is spendy. The answer is out there, and I can't wait to see how many ways we can stick it to the Middle East as they try to hold us hostage to their heroine supply.
Until next time
The Cable Guy
P.S. Don't forget that you can order cables online at http://www.whatacable.com/

No comments: