Friday, June 13, 2008

How I met my wifey

I've been asked to write down how I met Mrs. Cable Guy, so I thought that I'd share it with all. (if you get this story from Mrs. Cable Guy, it will be totally different I'm sure. But, this is how I remember it!)

I was a dashing young buck going to school at Brigham Young University. I had just recently returned from a 2-year LDS mission in Bordeaux, France. I was living down in Provo, Utah at the "Tanner Apartments, Lucky # 7". My mom had been bugging me to go visit my cousin who was also going to BYU. My cousin was from out of state (Washington state) and my mom was worried that she (my cousin) would be home sick and that she'd appreciate a visit from her cousin. So one day I decided to go over and visit. My cousin was roommates with a friend of hers from Port Angeles, WA. She introduced me to her roommate, who was to be the future Mrs. Cable Guy. I was so impressed that I kneeled down on one knee, took her hand, kissed it, and said in an English accent, "Hello My Lady". She fainted on the spot. The rest is history. (Did I mention my version was a little different than my wife's?)

OK, maybe that didn't happen. But I'm not not saying that it happened either.

So it turns out they (the girls in the apartment) were going to go see a movie at the dollar theater that afternoon. They were going to see Cool Runnings. My cousin and another girl already had their tickets, but they invited me to come along. I might add, that once I decided to go to the movie, Future Mrs. Cable Guy... let's call her the Cable Queen, decided that she wanted to go to the movie as well. (She had recovered from her fainting spell.) But when we got there, the movie was sold out, so the future Cable Queen and I ended up separating from the others.

So what did we do? We got tickets to Sleepless in Seattle. Disclaimer... I knew nothing about either movie, so I really didn't care. But, as it turns out, seeing a romance movie with a girl is a good idea.

So, I was liking how things had turned out. Our movie didn't start for another 20 minutes so we had some time to kill. We played some video games in the lobby.... I paid for the video games, so this technically was our first date. We enjoyed the movie. From then on, magically, I was all-of-a-sudden really excited about visiting my cousin as much as possible. (and her room mate).

Eventually I asked the future Cable Queen out on a group date, then later we went out with just the two of us. I think she really liked me because of my cool car. Well, actually, she liked me simply because I had a car and she didn't. So I found myself taking her shopping for groceries, etc. We spent most of that semester together, studying, doing wash, and going on very cheap dates. Working at the Sinclair gas station on Center Street in Provo at $5 an hour didn't pay for much.

She went home for the summer (to Port Angeles, WA). I went home for the summer (to Midvale, UT). We kept writing (no e-mail back then you see and definitely no blogs).

When Fall semester came around, the Cable Queen called me (she may not admit to this) and let me know that she had rented an apartment VERY close to mine. Now I'm sure that she would roll her eyes and say it was merely a coincidence.... and she's kept that story for 14 years or so... but we know the truth... (refer back to fainting spell). And again we started dating and hanging out for the next two semesters. Then May 6th, 1995, between Winter and Spring semester, we were married in the Salt Lake Temple.

Now you know the real story.

Until next time
The Cable Guy

No comments: